Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK)
North Vanlaiphai, Serchip. District mizoram
Krishi Vigyan Kendra (Farm Science Centre), an innovative Science based institution was established mainly to impart vocational skill training to the farmers and field level Extension workers. The institutional design for Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) was formulated by ICAR Committee under the chairmanship of Dr. Mohan Singh Mehta in 1973 to provide vocational training in Agriculture and allied sector.
KVK Serchhip was sanctioned in the year 2005 and established in the year 2008. The Office is located at N. Vanlaiphai which is about 65 Kms from the District Headquarter ie. Serchhip. Most of the infrastructure development has been completed and utilised. Recruitment of staff began from March 2008 and most of the sanctioned post is now filled up.
The Foundation Stone was laid by Shri H. Rammawi, Hon'ble Minister of Agriculture, Government of Mizoram on 23rd June, 2006. It was inaugurated by Shri H. Rammawi, Hon'ble Minister of Agriculture, Government of Mizoram on 12th September 2008 (Friday). KVK complex covers 78.88 bigha (10.55 ha.).Serchhip District Profile
Serchhip District occupies the central part of Mizoram, extending more to the eastern side. It lies between 23°35'58'82'' and 23°00'20'84'' North latitude and 92°41'06'00'' and 92°40'39'63' East longitude. It is bounded by Aizawl District on the north, Champhai District on the East and by Lunglei District on the South and West. It also shares a few length of boundary line with Myanmar on the South-Eastern part of the District.
The total Geographical area of Serchhip District is 1421.60 Sq Km which account for 6.74% of the total geographical area of this state.
Serchhip District is devided into three Sub-Division namely : Serchhip, N. Vanlaiphai and Thenzawl, and two blocks namely : Serchhip and E. Lungdar. The population of Serchhip District is 53,861 of which 30% (ie. 16,158.30) Resides in the Serchhip town and the rest 70% (ie. 37,702.70) lives in rural areas who are predominantly farming families.